Monday 12 January 2015

Book Release: The Crown of Stones: Magic-Scars by C.L. Schneider

The Crown of Stones: Magic-Scars

This week, I’m celebrating of the release of my new novel, The Crown of Stones: Magic-Scars, the second chapter in my adult epic fantasy trilogy. I’m honored to be given the chance to chat with you about my work here on #indiebooksbeseen.
As part of the celebration I’m running a .99 Kindle Countdown Deal on the first book in the trilogy until 1/19. I will also be doing a giveaway for a signed paperback of book #2 on Goodreads next month, so keep an eye out for that. If you sign up for my newsletter on my website by 1/15 you’ll also be entered into a drawing for a signed copy of book #2.


How do you pick up the pieces when you can’t remember what they are? 

Ian Troy has struggled with identity his entire life. Born of the Shinree, a fallen race with an inherent addiction to magic, his people are bred and sold as slaves. Reviled for the deadly side of their magic, the Shinree are drugged to subdue their abilities. Some are granted conditional freedom as long as their contributions prove useful to the other races. Possessing the magic of a soldier (and the natural talent for battle that comes with it) Ian was conscripted into the Rellan army at a young age to fight against the brutal Langorian invaders. For six years, he curtailed his spells by the Queens’ command; a warrior woman who saw no honor in using magic on a battlefield. But as defeat for the Rellans drew near, Ian defied orders and wielded the power of the Crown of Stones; a long buried relic of his people’s past. Unaware of the crown’s true nature, Ian brought a swift end to the war. But the price for peace was massive.
Magic-Price, the first installment in the trilogy, finds Ian years later still haunted by that tragic day. Having left the army, he’s renounced his heritage and his magic, and lives as a bounty hunter in self-imposed exile. He’s learned to control his addiction, something no other Shinree has done before; shackling it with guilt and a heavy dose of wine. Though he wears a piece of the Crown of Stones around his neck as a symbol of the price for his indulgence, he struggles to leave behind who and what he is. He strives to forget. But the memories and the scars won’t let him. Neither will his enemies.
Ian Troy is a character in constant conflict. Though labeled as the Champion of Rella, he sees nothing heroic in his actions. To him, magic is a curse. His cravings for the pleasure it brings a fatal flaw. Raised to believe the slavery of his people a necessity, he overlooks their mistreatment. He rationalizes the use of a drug that suppresses their magic and steals their minds because, “At least they can’t remember the things they’ve done.”
Addiction, obsession, guilt, and betrayal are common themes in Magic-Price, as Ian walks a shaky line between continuing to deny his nature and embracing it. As his story continues in Magic-Scars, Ian has lost what he had once tried so desperately to reject. Lacking memory and magic, he finds himself caught up in a rebellion against the new High King, and the difference between friend and foe becomes quickly blurred. Striving to reclaim what was taken leads Ian to discover the true extent of his powers, and the frightening personal cost of his link to the Crown of Stones. To be the weapon the rebellion needs he must reconcile the man he once was, with who he’s become—before the strange scars adorning this body change him forever.

Excerpt from The Crown of Stones: 

Magic-Scars Wrapping an arm around my waist, I groaned as the pain struck again. This one was stronger than the rest, and I folded, as waves of wrenching hot stabs danced through my gut.

Their touch was deep and long and rolling, like skeins of steel goring through me—so much, I had to lift my shirt to be sure nothing was there. But something was.

With a cry, I scrambled back.

“Let me look.” Reaching out, she lifted my shirt and gaped at the thick, black veins of magic squirming across my stomach. Wriggling, thrashing like a nest of snakes; with each move energy pulsed through me, too hard and fast to be anything close to enjoyable.

The lines coiled tighter. A thumping pain struck my head. Shaking, my insides constricting, a rapid, fierce hunger overcame me: I wanted to cast. There was so much building in me. I had to let it out.





Please visit my website for more information http://www.clschneiderauthor.com/

Download book #1 to your Kindle for only .99 from 1/12-1/19 http://bit.ly/MagicPriceKindle

For Magic-Scars, the second installment in the trilogy, http://bit.ly/ScarsKindle

Connect with me: https://www.facebook.com/CLS.Author https://twitter.com/cl_schneider https://www.goodreads.com/goodreadscomCLSchneider

Thanks again to #indiebooksbeseen for featuring me on their blog. Be sure to check out the new Indie Book Club on Goodreads. Happy reading everyone!


Goodreads Indie Book Club
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/151595-indie-book-club

1 comment: